AARP Tax-Aide Program at Eastern Branch LibraryMonday February 4, 2019
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, an AARP Foundation program, helps low-to moderate-income taxpayers by assisting with tax services and ensuring they receive applicable tax credits and deductions. This service is available free to taxpayers, with special attention to those 60 and older.
Through a cadre of trained volunteers, AARP Tax-Aide offers face-to-face tax information only. There is no pre-registration. A limited number of returns will be filed, depending on the number of volunteers available to complete returns within listed times, on days that the Library Branch is open.
This year, certain documentation is required to be with taxpayer before a return will be started. Please see documentation list (below) or on the Library flyers.
AARP/Tax Aide Volunteers will be in Eastern Branch Library, Shrewsbury on select days and times (when the Library is open),
beginning Monday, February 4, 2019 through Saturday, April 13, 2019.
Mondays: 9:15 am to 8:00 pm Wednesdays: 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Thursdays: 9:15 am to 4:00 pm Fridays: 9:15 am to 12:00 noon
Saturdays: 9:15 am to 4:00 pm
If you need Tax Forms: Tax forms can be downloaded via the State of New Jersey and IRS websites. For assistance, please stop by the Reference Desk at any branch. Printing fees apply for tax forms printed at the library.
Website for State of NJ forms : http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/forms.shtml
Website for IRS forms : http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/
Here is a listing of Required Forms AARP Tax-Aide volunteer preparers need taxpayers to bring in order to prepare their return. There may be others if the taxpayer has a unique situation, but these are the most common.
Please bring Identification:
- Social Security Card or other official document from SSA with Social Security number and full name. This is required for the taxpayer, spouse (if joint return) and all dependents.
- Drivers license or other government photo ID for the taxpayer and spouse (if joint return)
- A check (may be blank or canceled) is required if you are requesting direct deposit of your refund.
Please bring Tax Forms and Supporting Records:
- Copy of last years tax return
- W-2 for each employer and end of year check stub from employment
- Unemployment Compensation Statement (NJ no longer mails this so the taxpayer needs to print it out online)
- SSA-1099 if paid Social Security Benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc) and documentation showing original purchase price of any assets sold
- 1099-MISC showing miscellaneous income
- 1099-R for any payments from a pension, annuity or retirement account
- All forms relating to federal income tax paid
- Dependent Care Provider information (including SS# of provider)
- Supporting records if itemizing deductions (property tax, mortgage interest, medical expenses, charitable deductions, Homestead rebates, PTR rebates etc.) Please bring PTR blue book, if you participate.
Please bring Affordable Care Act Documentation Requirements:
If the taxpayer, spouse (if joint) and/or any person who could be claimed as a dependent did not have health insurance for the entire year, or if insurance was provided through the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange, you will need the following:
- A month by month listing showing for each person on the return, which months they had insurance and which months they were uninsured
- Information to determine if the reason the person was not insured qualifies for an exemption
- Exemption Certificate Number (ECN) if an exemption was granted by the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange
- Form 1095-A (sent automatically if insurance was purchased through the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange)
- If insurance was offered by an employer, but was refused, we will need the cost of the insurance for both individual coverage and family coverage
- Income information (includes AGI, exempt interest, and untaxed social security) for each dependent listed on the return who meets has a requirement to file a return.
Location: Eastern Branch
to go to the Monmouth County Library