New London Exploratory Playwrights' Festival Sunday August 16, 2020
6:30 PM until 7:30 PM
The New London Exploratory Playwrights' Festival -- based on a program conducted by local writer Nicholas Checker -- is supported by Flock Theatre's Performing Arts Makerspace and will run in conjunction with the New London Public Library's Summer Reading Program. This virtual playwriting program will be filmed at the Garde Arts Center's New London Main Street facility and features the premise of One-Character- Wonders -- short scripts built around a single character filled with angst over a nagging point of contention. They are designed to take audiences on an emotional tour de force. The character undergoes a raging odyssey which is ultimately resolved ... for better or worse. These dynamic plays feature characters speaking directly to a virtual live-stream audience:
1) A wily mercenary soldier explains defiantly the "merits" of his profession.
2) A woman seeks an end to the torment of her abusive past.
3) A mysterious time traveler rationalizes his disruption of history.
4) A rebellious Native American recounts his opposition to white colonists.
5) A young woman confronts her mother on concealing her own heritage.
6) A frustrated pet dog vents to its master about proper treatment.
Those interested in the Exploratory Playwriting Program or this presentation, contact Nicholas Checker, 860-444-8711.
Location: Zoom Program
to go to the Public Library of New London