Growing Mushrooms at Home
Thursday March 29, 2018
7:00 PM until 9:00 PM
Growing Shiitake & Oyster Mushrooms at Home
Thursday, March 29th at 7 pm
The presenter will be bring an assortment of tools, materials, and live fungi for you to see and handle. He will have some shiitake logs to give away in a free drawing. As well, he may have ether table-top grow kits or spawn for sale after the presentation.
What will you learn in this workshop?
- The primary species we'll discuss are Shiitake & Oyster, however, if the class wants to discuss other species, we can.
- The life cycle and needs of fungi
- The types of wood to use, how to age it, and when it's aged too much
- How to get spawn (fungi to inoculate your log with)
- Low cost tools and materials you'll need for 5-100 logs
- Advanced tools for producing 100's-1000's of logs
- Safety procedures you need to follow
- How to take care of your logs for the 1st year in Southern New England
- How to take care of the logs for the following years
- How to set up a simple "assembly line" and work with friends and family to inoculate dozens of logs for less than $200.
Mark Gostkiewicz is the owner of Tri Gable Lea Farm LLC in Colchester, CT. He has been a middle school math teacher for 15 years, and he runs a farm/agriculture club at his school. Through teaching students every week about organic gardening practices, he's created a diverse hands-on curriculum, and now he is starting to transform his home farm into an education center for local families.
Click here to go to the Medway Public Library calendar.