EVENT CANCELLED AARP Tax-Aide Program at Eastern Branch LibraryMonday February 3, 2020
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, an AARP Foundation program, helps low-to moderate-income taxpayers by assisting with tax services and ensuring they receive applicable tax credits and deductions. This service is available free to taxpayers, with special attention to those 60 and older.
Through a cadre of trained volunteers, AARP Tax-Aide offers face-to-face tax information only. There is no pre-registration. A limited number of returns will be filed, depending on the number of volunteers available to complete returns within listed times, on days that the Library Branch is open.
Certain documentation is required to be with taxpayer before a return will be started. Please see documentation list (below) or on the Library flyers.
AARP/Tax Aide Volunteers will be in Eastern Branch Library, Shrewsbury on select days and times (when the Library is open),
beginning Monday, February 3, 2020 through Monday, April 13, 2020.
Mondays: 9:15 am to 1:00 pm AND 4:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Wednesdays: 12:00 noon to 7:30 pm
Thursdays: 9:15 am to 1:00 pm
Fridays: 9:15 am to 1:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:15 am to 4:00 pm
If you need Tax Forms: Tax forms can be downloaded via the State of New Jersey and IRS websites. For assistance, please stop by the Reference Desk at any branch. Printing fees apply for tax forms printed at the library.
Website for State of NJ forms : http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/prntgit.shtml
Website for IRS forms : http://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
The following is a list of the most comon documents that AARP Tax-Aide volunteers require in order to prepare a tax return. There may be others if the taxpayer has a unique situation.
- Social Security Card, Social Security Statement, or other official document from the US Government with Social Security number and full name. This is required for the taxpayer, spouse (if joint return) and all dependents. NOTE: Medicare cards no longer provide Social Security numbers and are not suitable as proof of ID.
- Drivers license or other government photo ID for the taxpayer and spouse (if joint return)
- A check (blank or canceled) if you are requesting direct deposit of your refund.
Tax Forms and Supporting Documents:
- Copy of last years tax return
- W-2 and the final end of year pay stub from each employer
- Unemployment Compensation Statement (NJ no longer mails this so the taxpayer must print it out online)
- SSA-1099 (Social Security Statement) if receiving Social Security Benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc) and documentation showing the cost basis (adjusted purchase price) of any assets sold during the tax year
- 1099-MISC showing miscellaneous income
- 1099-R for any payments from a pension, annuity or retirement account
- All forms relating to federal income tax paid
- Dependent Care Provider information (including SS# of provider)
- Supporting records: property tax, mortgage interest, medical expenses, charitable contributions, Homestead rebate, Property Tax Reimbursement (PTR) rebate, etc. If you participate in the NJ PTR program, please bring your PTR "blue book".
Affordable Care Act Documentation. New Jersey State Now Requires Health Insurance.
If the taxpayer, spouse (if joint return) and/or any person who could be claimed as a dependent did not have health insurance for the entire year, or if insurance was provided through the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange, you will need the following:
- A month by month listing showing for each person on the return, which months they had insurance and which months they were uninsured
- Information to determine if the reason the person was not insured qualifies for an exemption
- Exemption Certificate Number (ECN) if an exemption was granted by the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange
- Form 1095-A if insurance was purchased through the Healthcare Marketplace/Exchange
- If insurance was offered by an employer, but was refused, you need to provide the cost of the insurance for both individual coverage and family coverage
- Income information (includes AGI, exempt interest, and untaxed social security) for each dependent listed on the return who meets a requirement to file a return.
Location: Eastern Branch
to go to the Monmouth County Library